Until October, when I had to curtail my activities, I enjoyed listening to history lectures on my longer runs. Below are some of my favorites.
Series from The Teaching Company:
- The Conservative Tradition, Patrick Allitt
- Famous Greeks, Rufus Fears
- Famous Romans, Rufus Fears
- Robert E. Lee and His High Command, Gary Gallagher
- The American Mind, Allen Guelzo
Donald Kagan’s “Ancient Greek History” lectures are available for free through Open Yale Courses. Both audio and video are available. In one lecture he uses students to demonstrate the hoplite phalanx. The video is hilarious.
I remain an enthusiastic subscriber to Ken Myers’ Mars Hill Audio Journal, which “is committed to assisting Christians who desire to move from thoughtless consumption of contemporary culture to a vantage point of thoughtful engagement. “